View topic - 61 Desoto Sedan

It is currently Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

The purpose of the National DeSoto Club, Inc. (NDC), is to encourage the preservation, restoration and promotion of all De Soto automobiles, as well as to promote fellowship and the exchange of knowledge among all fellow members. Furthermore, the study, compilation of data, summary of information, and preservation of literature related to De Soto automobiles is encouraged. The NDC’s message board is open to all. The NDC’s Trustees and members are NOT responsible for the accuracy of any of the information posted to this message board. The NDC’s web-master may, at his/her discretion, remove any message that is deemed to be offensive, and deny posting privileges to the person who posted the offensive message.

Post subject: 61 Desoto Sedan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:50 am 

Hi! im new to the site so let me introduce myself first, im Sarah im 20 and live in Palos Verdes California, and have been a huge fan of desotos for almost a year now!

Im interested in a 61 desoto sedan that i know has been sitting for about 6ish years outside on the street, seems to be all original and the interior is in pretty good condition, but the inside of the car is filled with random stuff and trash (looks like its being used for storage) and was wondering around how much the car would be priced?
i dont know if the owner wants to sell since i havent been able to find the owner yet (still trying to contact him) but if he is open to selling now or in the future i want to pay him the best i can for what its worth i dont want to lowball him because iv fallen in love with the car.
This car is what started my passion for desotos and it really dose have a special place in my heart.
I would be so so grateful if anyone would be able to help me out thank you

Post subject: Re: 61 Desoto Sedan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:26 pm 

Welcome to the world of DeSoto, Sarah!

For us to help you put a potential value on the car, it would be good to supply some pictures if you could. There are many things about the condition of the car including the body, paint, engine, etc that impact the value.

In case you don't know, 1961 was the last model year for the DeSoto, so the car is pretty rare. Others know better the exact number, but there were only 3000 some cars sold in the '61 model year. None were sedans... they were either a 2 door or 4 door hardtop.

We're rooting for you to find the owner and to be able to buy the car. It would be great fun for you, I'm sure.

Otherwise, there are online sites that might help you to determine some kind of a starting place for the car's value, however the actual condition of the car can impact these numbers significantly, too.

Check out

https://www.nadaguides.com/?gclid=Cj0KC ... 5952369257

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools? ... =g_us_hv_d

https://www.hemmings.com/price-guide/

https://www.kbb.com/used-cars/

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:06 am 

yea iv done some research on them and tried to find pics of unrestored ones but theres not much online
heres some pics of it
theres even more trash inside the car but i didnt take pics the last time i visited it

Attachments:
image3.jpg
image3.jpg [ 246.78 KiB | Viewed 43 times ]
image1.jpg
image1.jpg [ 675.15 KiB | Viewed 43 times ]
image2.jpg
image2.jpg [ 493.07 KiB | Viewed 43 times ]
image0.jpg
image0.jpg [ 719.97 KiB | Viewed 43 times ]
image4.jpg
image4.jpg [ 179.72 KiB | Viewed 43 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:48 am 

Is the registration current? It must run.... your pictures are in different locations, anyway.

Looks better than what I expected!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:25 am 

Yes, much better than expected. An ideal car to buy and get running and driving.

Definitely track down the owner. One thing that could work in your favor is to demonstrate to the owner that you are serious and that you know something about the car. The owner may want to sell to the 'right' person, rather than someone that will trash it or hot rod it. You may have to show that you are that person. Good luck and let us know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:57 am 

i dont know if it runs, the pictures are in the same place it was just parked around the corner a bit its only ever been parked in two places, iv also checked google maps and its basically parked in the two spots no matter what, all we know is the the back suspension is shot so thats the only thing we know for sure that needs to be replaced and worked on.
im doing as much research as i can on this car so that the owner knows im serious about buying it, its a beautiful car and would be a dream to own and iv fallen in love with it over the year that iv been visiting it
im going back this weekend so ill get more pics of the interior and anything else you guys would like to see and post them here when i have them
thanks you guys <3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:39 pm 

Something about the metallurgy of Mopar rear leaf springs seems to cause them often to break. Or at least the rear has sagged significantly. Not a big deal, parts-wise. Often a local axle and spring shop can make up a new set of springs, or you can buy from vendors like Eaton-Detroit Springs.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/